Gum disease is a severe problem that can lead to tooth loss if it’s not treated. In fact, it’s the number one cause of tooth loss in adults. Fortunately, we can treat it with proper care from a qualified periodontist like Dr. Losin, and Centennial Periodontics & Implants is near you in Centennial, Colorado.
What is Gum Disease and Why Should You See a Periodontist if You Think You Have It
Gum disease is an infection of the gums that can destroy the bone around your teeth and lead to tooth loss. Seeing a periodontist is crucial if you think you have gum disease because the sooner it’s treated, the better. Centennial Periodontics & Implants offers various treatments for gum disease, depending on the severity of the condition.
The Different Types of Gum Disease
There are three main types of gum disease: gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis. Gingivitis is the mildest form of gum disease and is characterized by inflammation of the gums. Periodontitis is more advanced and causes damage to the bone and connective tissue that support the teeth. Advanced periodontitis is the most severe form of gum disease and can lead to tooth loss.
Gum disease is caused by a build-up of plaque on the teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. If you don’t remove the plaque , it can harden into tartar, which can cause irritation and inflammation of the gums.
You can help prevent and treat gum disease with good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing twice a day and keeping current on your regular dental check-ups. For severe cases, we recommend scheduling an appointment with us at our Centennial office. We can help you cure or maintain gum disease.
What Treatments Does Centennial Periodontics & Implants Offer for Gum Disease?
If you have gum disease, the Centennial Periodontics & Implants team can offer various treatments depending on the severity of your condition and the need. These treatments can include:
- Professional Teeth Cleanings: Teeth cleaning involves removing tartar and plaque from your teeth with special instruments.
- Dental Implants: This surgical procedure involves placing titanium posts into the bone to replace missing teeth.
- Scaling and Root Planing: This deep cleaning treatment involves removing tartar and plaque below the gum line.
- Antibiotics: These can be used to control infection.
- Medication: We can use medication to control inflammation and pain.
- Surgery: In severe cases, you may require surgery to remove tartar or repair damage to the gums and bone.
- Extractions: In some cases, teeth may need to be extracted. We use specialized dental instruments to remove the tooth without damaging the surrounding tissue carefully.
- Bone Grafting: This is a surgical procedure to replace bone that has been lost due to periodontal disease.
- Sedation Dentistry: If you are overly anxious about your periodontal treatment, we offer various types of sedation dentistry to help you relax.
- Laser Treatment: This new treatment can be used to remove tartar and bacteria from the teeth. It can also treat gums infected by periodontitis. It is non-invasive and comfortable, and your recovery will be quick.
Additional Services That Centennial Periodontics & Implants Offers in Centennial
In addition to treating gum disease, Centennial Periodontics & Implants also offers other services such as Botox, TMD Therapy, and dermal filler. We are here for your dental needs and are just down the road from you in Centennial.
Where Can I Find a Quality Periodontist Near Me in Centennial?
You can find high-quality care for your teeth and gums near you at Centennial Periodontics & Implants. We offer a variety of treatments for gum disease, including laser treatment. We also offer dental implants, a great way to replace missing teeth.
Please schedule an appointment with us today. We look forward to helping you get onto a path of excellent dental health.